Grace: This is one of those special words that belong to the child of God. God has given us some words that the world just doesn't know how to properly appreciate. For instance, there are words like glory, amen, hallelujah, faith, etc. The dictionary defines grace as, "unmerited help given to people by God." However, grace is much more than that! Look at this definition, "the merciful kindness by which God, exerting his holy influence upon souls, turns them to Christ, keeps, strengthens, increases them in Christian faith, knowledge, affection, and kindles them to the exercise of the Christian virtues." That, my friends, is grace!
In these verses, the great apostle was defending the resurrection of the Lord Jesus against the doubts of unbelievers. He mentions the fact that the resurrected Christ was seen by Peter, the, His earthly brother James and then last of all Paul. Paul proceeds to tell his readers that because of his sins and attacks against the church, that he was the least of the apostles and is not even worthy to be named among them. However, Paul goes on to say that he knows God has used him and that anything he has, is, or ever will be, is because of the precious grace of God.
I would like to remind each of you that the same is true for you and me. Because of our sinfulness we deserve nothing less than an eternity in Hell apart from the presence of the Almighty. However, because His grace was revealed unto us in the Person of His Son the Lord Jesus, we can be saved and used by the Lord in a wonderful fashion. Today, by the help of the Lord, I would like to show you some of the possessions that belong to the child of God because of grace. Join me for a few moments as we consider, together, the thought, "By The Grace Of God I Am!"
1. I AM SAVED BY GRACE Eph 2:8, "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:"
Eph 1:7, "In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;"
2. I AM SURE BY GRACE Rom 5:2, "By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God."
3. I AM SECURE BY GRACE Rom 3:24, "Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:"
4. I AM STRENGTHENED BY GRACE 2 Cor 12:9, "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
2 Cor 9:8, "And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:"
5. I AM SUPPLIED BY GRACE Heb 4:16, "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need."
6. I AM SOMEBODY BY GRACE Eph 3:7-8, "Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power. Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;
7. I AM SATISFIED BY GRACE Eph 2:7, "That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus."
8. I AM SURPRISED BY GRACE 1 Cor 15:8-10, "And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time. For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.
Many things in life will fail us. Friendships will blossom and then die. Health can be an elusive thing. Riches and wealth will often remain just beyond the reach of your finger tips. Those we love will pass from the scene leaving a void in our hearts hard to be filled. However, there is one thing that every child of God possesses that can never fail, never end, never run out, never run dry and that will never be found to be insufficient, and that is the grace of God! Yes, the road may be long and dreary, the days may be filled with difficulties and struggles, but rest assured that there will be grace sufficient for every need and every trial. That is the promise of God and that is the hope of the saints.